Sunday, May 20, 2012

So You Think You Can Dance?

Well, at least I thought they could :)

The girls had their first dance recital this weekend. They are taking Tap and Ballet, and the instructor decided just to "showcase" one event. Yours truly signed up to be Backstage mom, which surprised a lot of people (For a few hours I was Octomom). I've seen enough dance recitals in my time, I'm really ok with watching from backstage (I think I had more fun anyway).

I digress.

The girls were performing in Manor, so Grandma and I got them all dolled up at school. I was a little concerned about putting makeup on my babies, but it turned out ok (We were far on the natural spectrum, you would have thought we were trying out for Toddlers and Tiaras.....some moms had their kids don the fake hairpiece!!)

See how happy they look?!?
Olivia, ready to rock it out. 

My sweet dancing princesses...yes they really are THAT darling ALL THE TIME

Abigail

Putting on the least amount of makeup I could manage

So the rehearsal went well. Both girls decided to dance, well....skip across the stage when asked....with bright smiling faces.
Then.

There. 
Was.

RECITAL.
Whole different story. They were up to it, all the way to the stage, when Livy let out a blood curdling "NOOOOO!!" (I'm sure it's archived on the DVD we purchased). Poor thing burst into tears, was glued to my backstage mom leg, and shaking. Abby was on stage, heard her sister cry out, and ran just as the curtains started to open. **Sigh**. 
The teacher in me said, "Throw them out there and run like a decent parent should!" 
The mom in me said. " COME HERE MY BABIES! I'LL PROTECT YOU FROM THE MEAN OLD STAGE!!". 
I was conflicted for a short moment, then decided to take them both backstage to calm down. There was no way I was going to push them onstage. 

The good news is that 1/2 of my children decided that they would go out for the finale unaided. 
The bad news is the other half was still clinging to my leg.
What's a mom to do?
Dance.

Yup. I dragged myself on stage with 50 or so children and danced with Abby as Livy was buried deep into my shoulder blades. 
Needless to say, it was quite an experience.


3 comments: